The Castle gatehouse was rebuilt after the Glyndwr uprisingin the early 15th century. The south-west tower has good angle spur buttresses from the late 13th century. Carmarthenshire County Council is undertaking a major phased programme of restoration, with the assistance of grants from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The Quay was once the hub of mercantile activity, where sea-going ships tied up at spring tides. The present walls were built about 1805. Note the listed bollards and chains, rare surviving examples of traditional quayside features. The business premises of Towy Works opened on this site in 1908 and the building is a fine example of early twentieth century commercial architecture. A new foot and cycle suspension bridge, Pont King Morgan, was built by the County Council in 2006 to connect the station with the town. The bridge is named after the King Morgan family, who served Carmarthen as chemists, and supported many good causes, for most of the 20th century.