PRESS RELEASE 22nd MAY 2017
REDEVELOPMENT OF CARMARTHEN VELODROME
Construction work to redevelop Carmarthen Velodrome has started at Carmarthen Park.
The appointed contractors – local firm GD Harries & Sons Ltd – moved onto the site last week (Monday 8th May) and construction work started on Monday 15th May.
The construction work is expected to take 20 weeks, with a target completion date of 29th September. Special arrangements are being made to allow all Carmarthen Quins RFC home league matches to take place as planned during September and Carmarthen Park will also remain open to the general public throughout this period.
Carmarthen Town Councillor Alun Lenny said: ‘It is great to see the building work going ahead. Planning consent was granted in April and a formal tendering procedure was then undertaken resulting in GD Harries & Sons Ltd being appointed as the sole contractor’.
Richard Burton, Commercial Manager with GD Harries & Sons Ltd said: ‘This is a hugely significant historical and sporting project and we are delighted to have been appointed to do this work for Carmarthen Town Council’.
Councillor Lenny continued: ‘The project has taken a few years to get to this point due to the uniquely challenging nature of the work involved. Because the velodrome is a listed building located within Carmarthen Park – which is a conservation area - we have taken specialist advice at every stage of the process to ensure that the redeveloped velodrome does not adversely affect the historical appearance and character of the Park.
On top of that we had to consider very carefully the right type of surface for the redeveloped velodrome, making sure that public money is being spent in the most cost effective and appropriate way. Several different types of surface had to be tested by cyclists during the last year and ultimately this has resulted in the decision to replace all of the existing concrete – 232 concrete bays – with brand new concrete that hopefully will last another hundred years or so.
We have worked very closely with the local cycling community and the wider national cycling bodies (British Cycling and Welsh Cycling) to ensure that the new cycling surface will be fit for purpose and will be of the required standard that will allow national and possibly international competitions to take place once again in Carmarthen.
Two new key features will see a safety zone (or ‘blue zone’) being built along the entire inside perimeter of the track and also a safety fence around the entire outside edge of the track to afford protection to cyclists from coming into contact with the existing barriers – that cannot be removed due to their listed building status’.
The existing floodlights – designed to cater for rugby at the Park – will also need to be upgraded to ensure the safety of cyclists using the track during the darker winter evenings’.
Funding for the redevelopment of the velodrome has been provided by Sport Wales, Carmarthenshire County Council and Carmarthen Town Council.